Working Together for Successful Student Transition
April 26-29, 2018
Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel, Richmond, BC (map)
There will be a series of Pre-conference workshops including a Ministry of Education/Ministry of Advanced Education Skills and Training panel during the afternoon of April 26, followed by a Keynote in the evening featuring Dr. Santo Ono, Dean of UBC. April 27 will begin with a pair of plenary sessions in the morning. Eric Termuende will present on the theme of the Future of the Workforce, followed by Mike Downie, brother of the late Gord Downie, unpacking the story of Chanie Wenjack and the effects of Residential schools and reconciliation. A student performance provided by the Nisga’a dancers, singers and drummers will wrap up the morning events, leading to a series of concurrent workshops in that afternoon that will highlight the theme of preparing students for Post-Secondary and the role of the Trustee in making Governance decisions which impact successful student transition to post public school life.
Concurrent workshop plans:
- Election workshop: Preparing for the 2018 Trustee Elections.
- Make A Future: presenting on teacher work force analysis, recruitment and retention.
- Reconciliation Project ‘Site Unseen’ Partnership art installation project with West Vancouver and Hartley Bay
- Student Mental Health: Panel: Coaches; teachers; Trustees. Ways School Districts can support Student Mental Health and Staff wellness through Policy and Programs. (follow up from pre-conference)
- Youth Leadership Project (YLP)/ Reconciliation initiative: SD 64 Gulf Islands Project
Stay tuned for more details soon.